Thursday, January 06, 2005

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I remember one New Year's party in South Africa once where I met some Zulus living in the foothills of Pinetown. (Does Pinetown have foothills?!) who said they were looking forward to daybreak, because they all celebrated their birthdays on new years day. This wasn't because it was the day that everyone in the village was born - but rather, I was told, Zulu tradition, and that very few of them knew their actual birthdays.

Another Zulu tradition on New Year's Day was to all go down to Durban beachfront and take a dip in the sea to "cleanse" their spirits for the year ahead. A yearly baptism if you like.

I really like the sound of that - but figured a dip off of any part of the British coastline at this time of year would be madness (although I know people do it.)

To purge myself of all demons, and to cleanse myself for the year ahead, I went Ice Skating in Queen's Square on New Year's Day. It didn't have quite the same spiritual effect as a baptism in the Indian Ocean - but was a lovely start to the year.

Then we went and sat in the rain to watch Bath Rugby lose to Saracens.

Oy vey.

Wishing you all a lekker 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home