Saturday, September 18, 2004

AG, PLEASE DADDY, WON'T YOU TAKE US TO THE DRIVE-IN?

That was a classy song I remember from SA. Akin to the chicken song here, I would imagine. I've been thinking about the Drive-In quite a lot recently. We had one in Durban - it rocked. It was in the days when you used to have to attach a great big mutha of a speaker onto your window and f*** about for hours to tune the thing in. Not like the posh ones now where you get the sound through the radio.

I used to love the Drive-In. They always showed two films - the first one was always one of the "Herbie" (of "goes bananas" fame) films, or a Muppets film, and the main feature was always the latest blockbuster like "Condorman". Classy flick. I always fell asleep by the second film - probably why I still fall asleep half way through any film I watch at home now.

It'd be very cool if they had Drive-Ins here. But I guess you'd only be able to go about 10 nights a year due to the foul weather, and there'd be no searing humidity, no crickets singing in the background. No gravel on the floor in case someone tripped up and sued. ... it just wouldn't be the same.

Off to see the Aged-P in Bournemouth this weekend. We plan to ply her with good wine and food and listen to her stories of yore. I do hope we cover the period of the late 70's to late 80's this weekend - she could fill me in on all the films I never got to see at the Drive-In...

It's a lekker world. Innit.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home